Thursday, June 12, 2014

Getting to Know Me

Although I have been focusing on the weight loss for much of this blog, this blog was started to find myself.  While losing weight is very important for me right now, it is not the only focus that I have.  I want to find the things that I enjoy and to find time to explore other things that I have an interest in.

One thing that I have found over the years is that I put myself last.  The order in my house goes like this:


  • Kids
  • Husband
  • Work
  • Pets
  • Household Chores


and then somewhere way down the list is me.  I will avoid buying clothes if the kids need something, avoid getting my hair cut if someone else needs one too. I look at the price of things and think, "Oh, I shouldn't spend that money on me."

When it comes to things to do for myself, I put it to the side and think, tomorrow.  I have already mentioned this in a past post but I have found that this aversion to do things for myself is more than just an aversion to exercise.

So I thought I would start another challenge (geeze this woman loves challenges).  One I want to start next month is a photo a day challenge. I love to take photographs and I think I would like to explore that more in July.  I also like to scrapbook so that is another thing I will try to dedicate more time to...I do, after all, have to find a way to share those photos.

This challenge, however, is not about photographs but about exploring me.  I won't do it daily to keep the blog posts to a minimum but every few days, I will add a few of the days that I have done.  If you would like to join me in the challenge, I would be happy to do it with you.

For today, however, let's start with days 1 and 2.

Day One:

A few basic things about me.  I was born in British Columbia and I have a very complicated family. I was adopted by my aunt and through the adoption, I have one sister and two brothers.  On my biological mother's side (who is my aunt's sister), I have two sisters and a brother.  On my biological father's side (who I met at 16), I have two brothers.  I call my aunt my mom to this day and she is.

I met my husband when I was 16 (it was a busy year), and moved to Ontario when I was 18.  We were married when I was 21 and I had my first son at 24.  I graduated college in the field of early childhood education a few months before my son was born.  I was in the top 1% of my class and graduated with honors and several awards.  My second son was born when I was 28 and I left the field of ECE in 2007 when he was three.

Since then, I have been a writer/ghostwriter and editor.  I live with my husband, two kids, a senior (and still energetic) Labrador Retriever, my beautiful, English Mastiff and a grumpy old cat.

So that is a few basic things or rather me in a nutshell...but I have to warn you, I think the nutshell is cracked.

Day Two: 

Ten things I like:


  1. My family (always number one)
  2. My pets
  3. Animals, my favorite animal is the wolf
  4. Sunsets
  5. Playing in the rain
  6. Swimming
  7. Listening to the rain at night
  8. Halloween
  9. Reading
  10. Hiking through forests

Ten things I don't like:

  1. People who lie
  2. People who knock others down
  3. Any and all types of seafood
  4. Spiders (not afraid of them but don't like them)
  5. Hot, humid summers
  6. Driving in the snow (I rolled my car once driving in the snow)
  7. Getting up early (But I still get up early every day, even though I hate it)
  8. June Bugs! (I hate...and I mean HATE...June Bugs.  When I first moved to Ontario, they had a really bad year for June bugs. First time I had ever seen the bugs and I almost moved back to BC simply because I didn't want to see another June bug.  They are quite a solid bug when they hit you or land in your hair...makes me squirm just thinking of them.)
  9. That my kids are growing up.  It is bitter sweet.  I love seeing the people they are becoming but it is sad that they are growing up so fast.
  10. Insomnia (I suffer from it off and on, and have since I was a child.  I would love to not have it at all.)

So there are the first two days. Feel free to share yours or you can share your blog address in the comment section.


No comments:

Post a Comment