Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Meal Recipe: Chicken Caesar Salad Wraps

One of the changes that I have been making is what we are eating during the week. We have cut out a lot of the processed foods and now my cupboards are often bare because the fridge is what is full.  The kids have some school snacks, we have cereal and then a few odds and ends but the main focus on our grocery shopping is the outside edges of the store, which happen to go into the fridge and freezer.

If you haven't heard of that, it is important to shop around the edges of a store. The majority of processed foods, which are the unhealthy foods, are in the center aisles.  Fruits and vegetables, dairy, and meats are on the outer edges.  During the summer months, I shop primarily at a farmers market, with the exception of dairy products, however, in the winter, I follow this advice for shopping.

So with all those fresh veggies, I have to find different recipes to make those veggies interesting every day.  One of my favorite is the chicken Caesar salad wrap. These are pretty fast to make and while I do use a pre-made Caesar salad dressing, I don't use a lot of it.  These taste delicious and they are very filling.  You do not need more than one to feel stuffed and I have a hard time finishing one when I make them.

Ingredients:


  • 2 Chicken Breasts (I tend to use 3 since the kids eat the wrap as a separated meal, not as a wrap)
  • 1 Romaine Lettuce
  • 1 Caesar Salad Kit (I use the light Caesar Salad kit)
  • 2 Large Carrots, peeled and shredded
  • 1 Cucumber, peeled and sliced into long sticks
  • 5 Radishes, shredded
  • 1/2 cup of cheese (optional)
  • 1 Tomato, diced
  • 1/4 onion, sliced
  • Tortillas (I like to use spinach tortilla) 


Directions:


  1. Grill the chicken breast until it is cooked thoroughly. I like to spice mine with garlic to add flavor.
  2. When the chicken is cooked, slice into thin strips. Set aside.
  3. Wash the lettuce thoroughly and then tear into bite sized pieces.
  4. Dry the lettuce to remove the excess water.
  5. Make the Caesar salad kit.
  6. Toss the salad.
  7. Wash, peel and cut the remaining vegetables.  Put onto individual serving plates.
  8. Shred the cheese.
  9. Warm the tortillas slightly.
  10. Serve the meal.  


The best thing about these wraps is that you serve it buffet style at the table. People build the wraps with the vegetables that they like.  I make mine with everything except the cheese, tomatoes and onion.  The main part should be the salad with 2 to 3 slices of chicken, depending on the thickness of the chicken.  Then the rest of the vegetables are filling.  You can also add different veggies such as zucchini slices, green peppers, avocado, etc.

So enjoy this recipe and tomorrow I will be back with measurements and Wednesday weigh in.  

Photo credit: ©  | Dreamstime Stock Photos



No comments:

Post a Comment